Sep 13, 2013

ARE YOU OK?





Due the mountain of media policy essays I had to mark yesterday, this post is fashionably late... because that's how I roll.

Yesterday in Australia was "R U OK?" Day. R U OK? Day is our national day of action on the second Thursday of September that is dedicated to reminding people to regularly check in with family and friends. The R U OK? Foundation is a not-for-profit organisation dedicated to encouraging all people to regularly and meaningfully ask 'are you ok?' to support those struggling with life. You can read more about them here (and for source credit).

I like it. I like it a lot. 

One of my work colleagues posted a link to this blog post that had me alternating between laughing and meaningfully considering what it must be like for a sufferer of Depression. I really encourage you to take 5 minutes and have a read. If nothing else, look at the pictures, they are a real hoot. I have never suffered from a mental illness but I acknowledge that there are many people that are sufferers, and some I am sure, are doing so silently. If you are struggling, I pray that you can find the strength to ask for help and find your piece of corn.

Find a piece of corn? Now you have to read the article after that cliff hanger.

Take some time to ask those around you, genuinely, are you OK?

PS: There is some colourful language in the blog post so be warned!

No comments:

Post a Comment

ahoy there. I love to hear from you, thanks for taking the time to leave a comment xo