Oct 12, 2012
Spring: the Friday of the four seasons.
I have been thinking a lot about what Maxabella Loves posted last night about poor hard done by Spring. I mentioned this little epiphany to Derek last night and he decided that Spring is like Friday. Our beloved Friday is not the exciting thing that we all talk about with heightened enthusiasm as the week drags on, it is not the reason why we count how many days there are left in the working week, nor is it the cause of why social events that occur in workplaces throughout the nation get us all going giddy up. Friday, dear friends, is merely the last barrier in the way of what we all wait eagerly for each week: the glorious weekend. Oh, the things we can do with those two days.
Poor Spring has had a hard run, we pine after it's coming, we make plans of all the marvellous things we can do when Spring does its thing, but what we really want is Summer. Those hot days where the world can seem like a much happier place. We eat ice cream, we go to the beach, the ugg boots get locked away and the havianas become a wardrobe staple for most. Ah, Summer.
Today, though, I have to admit, I am happy to be amidst crazily unpredictable Spring that is getting such a beating at the moment. Spring, you're OK. My windows are stained with the sporadic rain that has been falling all day, and my washing is getting re-washed on the line, but still, in my eyes, you're not half-bad. You give me my final chance to enjoy my electric blanket, rug up in my track pants, sit at my desk covered with my throw rug, have toasty toes in my ugg boots and enjoy that extra cup of tea that warms my soul rather than causing me to break out in a hot sweat like I am sure I will do when Summer final rears her head.
The weekend wouldn't be quite as exciting if we didn't have the unpredictability of what Friday brings in our lives.
Lis xx
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
+x660.jpg)
i know exactly what you mean! friday is spring, saturday is summer, sunday afternoon fall and monday the terriblest cold and rainy winter =)
ReplyDeleteSpoken like a true New Zealander! Hehe.
ReplyDeleteBRING ON SUMMER.
Spoken like a true (homesick!) West Australian...
xx
To true. This Spring has been downright bizarre. I re visited my flannel pj's last night - what a treat for my husband. If the Bureau of Meteorology can be trusted (and that's a BIG if), summer will make its return next week and I can look forward to sand creeping into every imaginable crevice of my household.
ReplyDeleteAlmost true for me, almost. I love the flowers that Spring brings. I honestly love Spring, and almost dread the sapping heat of Summer, but that said, there is nothing better than an early morning ocean swim. Or the sound of cicadas as you fall asleep. Summer is pretty awesome. I'd definitely class it as the weekend of the seasons.
ReplyDelete