On Saturday I had the privilege of attending one of Tim Coulson's The Nursery photography workshops when he ventured down south to Melbourne town. It's Tuesday and I am still processing. I am completely mind blown.
I have only had my beloved camera for coming on a year now and I have had this pressing desire to learn how to use it the way it should be used. My super talented friend lou has been a real source of inspiration to me on this photo taking journey. She produces the most beautiful, simple and emotion filled images which always leaves me wanting more. Tim is a friend of hers who she had take family photos of her gorgeous family last year (almost to the day) so I have come to love his work as I follow him on his photo taking journey.
The Nursery is intended for those who have DSLR cameras and are too afraid to venture off the "auto" setting. Me in a nutshell. I tried to use the manual setting a few times on Lou's recommendation but my images came out horribly. like, seriously.
Tim provided a really safe, fun, intimate setting for the small number of attendees to soak up all he had to offer us. I think it is so rare to find a world class photographer who is so willing to share all that he knows, keeping no secrets away from us amateurs. legend. His gorgeous wife Kesh provided a really beautiful introduction to Tim's photography journey and how his life has become completely transformed in such a small space of time. It was an honour to learn from you, Tim.
My mind was literally buzzing all. night. long. after the workshop and I found myself dreaming about ISO settings, aperture and shutter speeds, subconsciously trying to retain every morsel of goodness I learned. For now, while I try and soak up all this new-found knowledge, have a peak at my day at The Nursery through my camera eyes.
After a delicious lunch (thank you, Kirsty!) we headed around the corner to the park to put our new photo-taking skills to action by photographing Tim's lovely sister, Rachel.
Thank you Tim for your patience, kindness and excellent teaching. Thanks to Kirsty for your wonderful hospitality, and thank you to the lovely ladies who I was able to share this experience with, you are all gorgeous.
lis xx
Beautiful photos lovely!
ReplyDeleteLooks like you had an equally fantastic day (how incredible is Kirsty and her home?!).
I, too, have been dreaming of f/stops, ISO and shutter speeds. And I love it!
Can't wait to see what you do next. xxx
Thanks, Amelia! Everything about the day was perfect, and yes, Kirsty's house is a-mazing. Thanks for the encouragement! I loved seeing The Nursery through your eyes, bring on our photo taking adventures! xx
DeleteGood job friend! Excited to see your photography blossom from here.
ReplyDeletethanks, friend. I love that we have been through this together!
DeleteGosh these nursery posts are making me jealous. I was living in OZ until earlier this year, so I'll just have to wait until he takes them internationally! Lovely photos too. And lovely blog in fact! x
ReplyDeleteHi Anna! Thanks for visiting, your lovely comment is much appreciated. The Nursery is a definite must for your to-do list, Tim is brilliant at what he does best and brilliant at teaching us in turn. Where have you moved to? Thanks for reading! xx
Delete