It's been a huge few days, weeks, and well, months in my world. So many things happening in and around work, family and my community of people I surround myself with. It has been increasingly difficult to find my feet and my place, and indeed, how this wonderful blog space fits in the mix. More on that later.
For now, I am going to share something that has been burning on my heart for the last few months. A new love, a new passion, something that is consuming those precious hours of my day (when I should perhaps, be doing something else) and something that has brought me so much joy: the beautiful art of capturing frames, moments and memories through my camera lens.
I got my first DSLR camera for Christmas in 2011 from my husband, completely out of the blue. I had no real desire to make photography a significant hobby but was thrilled nevertheless with is new "toy". As the year progressed I started to get more and more frustrated with my inability to take a really good picture, all the while I was falling more in love with Louise's photography and wanting to learn how that stellar lady manages it.
Mid way through last year Tim Coulson, another photographer I had become completely besotted with, announced he was running a beginners workshop in Melbourne for DSLR camera uses, The Nursery. It took a bit of husband arm twisting, but I managed to secure my spot and had the most revelatory experience. And so this journey really began.
I've been almost inseparable from my camera ever since, probably driving those around me completely mental. I have booked my first wedding, a number of couple shoots, family shoots and portrait sessions. It's been an incredible few months.
I must thank my husband who has been, and continues to be, my number one fan, cheerleader and, ahem, financial contributor. Your support means so very much, dear one.
There is one soul, however, who has made the biggest impact on this journey post- The Nursery, my friend Louise. Lou, I have no words to describe my gratitude. You have offered me support, encouragement, opportunities, love, patience and a camera or two to borrow when need be. I am now reaching blubbering point when I think that in a week you won't be a few houses up the street anymore. Thank you, a million Reeces'-peanut-butter-cups-thank-you. I wouldn't be in this place if not for you. Friend, life is certainly more beautiful with you in it.
With that, I happily announce that I took the plunge and created a Facebook page for this new love. A website is in the works, but for now, if you, or anyone you know, would like to enquire about giving me the incredible opportunity to capture your life in a still image, contact me through there. I am overwhelmed with love and gratitude for the support I have received already since starting the page earlier in the week. This online space blows my mind, so many loving, supportive and creative souls. My heart is full.
You can find the Facebook page here.
Happy weekend, friends.

Yay yay yay. This warms my heart knowing that there IS a community out there who is supportive and encouraging. Just yesterday a fellow photographer from Gippsland sent me a facebook message, she has just launched herself into her new venture, similar to you, just loves capturing moments. She hasn't been, ahem, warmly received by some other local photographers though. Why, why, why, are we not more supportive of each other? Honestly. Tisk tisk tisking I am, I told her to keep her chin up, there ARE lovelies like Lou and yourself out there.
ReplyDeleteGood luck Lisa, I still get a lot of Gippsland enquiries and obviously can't meet all of them now I'm over here in SA so I'll let them know you're about :)
Em x
Hey Em!
DeleteThanks SO much for your kind words! That is such a shame about your dear friend, rubbish! I am all about community and knowledge sharing, I have been blessed by having Lou & Tim so freely share their ideas, techniques and thoughts, pass it on baby!
And I would really, really appreciate the shout out if you get more Gippy enquiries, so keen to get more opportunities!
xo
hurrah hurrah!! I am so happy for your lisa :) it's amazing how quickly that passion can take hold when that camera gets in your hand.. can't wait to see the website, looking forward to seeing all your beautiful work in the coming months :) hope you've got some celebratory plans on this weekend! x
ReplyDeleteYou are a gem, Tahnee! You are one of those incredible creative souls that linger in this online space I was referring to, I have LOVED seeing you grow and bloom into the crazy talented lady that you are! Celebrations include the last three shows of Hamlet that my current alter ego Ophelia is staring in, pretty awesome way to spend a weekend in my eyes ;)
DeleteEeek! How exciting. Congratulations, you take gorgeous photos x
ReplyDeleteThanks so much, Theresa xo
DeleteVery wonderful news! Nothing like an exciting new road to follow. Much love and all the very very best to you xo
ReplyDeleteThanks so much! Change is as good as a holiday, right? ;)
DeleteHow exciting Lisa - I've loved the pregnancy photos you've take of Lou - you are one talented lady!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Ali! I have loved practicing on Lou, we have had many lovely adventures together, she is an incredible lady!
Delete