Apr 9, 2013

family, easter & spontaneous trips overseas

Family has always been something of great importance and value to me. I am one of the lucky souls that belong to a family with two long loving parents who have been together for much longer than I have graced this Earth. We are loud, argumentative but also kind, considerate and loving towards one another. For that, I am truly grateful. My run of good fortune continued when I fell in love with the loving man I now share my life with. His family, whilst unfathomably different to my own, is just as kind, loving and supportive as the one I grew up with. Both family units consist of two loving parents and four children. So very different to my own where many years span between two sets of children, in Derek's family, only two years separates each sibling. It is a wonderful thing, this age gap has fostered an incredible closeness between each of the offspring, where they act more as close friends than siblings, particularly as the years come upon us all and the youngest is now only a few months shy of turning 21. 

As we grow and change, so too, has this lovely little Australian family unit. Children have gotten married, purchased homes, studied at university, travelled, and, for one, moved to opposite ends of this sunburnt country. My dear friend and sister-in-law Rochelle who sits at number three in this wonderful clan of Hayman's, tied the knot to her primary school sweet heart in July last year, and with that, we farewelled her from our small country town where the rest of us reside and she moved to Darwin with her newly wedded love, Rowan. We miss them both terribly but are all so thankful for the wonders of modern transport and technology which shrinks the boundaries of distance. 

Lovely friends of ours and one of Rowan's best men, Brad, is himself, about to marry his sweetheart. His engagement party fell on Easter weekend which made for an excellent cause for our beloved Rochelle & Rowan to pay us a visit last weekend for Easter and pre-nuptial celebrations. It was wonderful to have them back, even only for a few days. It was the first time we had all been together since their wedding (where the above photo was taken by the very talented Lou from Sunny + Scout Photography). We laughed, ate, played basketball, had Easter egg hunts by moonlight, celebrated our risen saviour at church together and made the most wonderful kind of memories. It was the best way Easter should be spent, with both our biological family and the family of friends we make for ourselves (and of course, devouring copious amounts of hot cross buns!). Before we knew it, Sunday night was upon us and we were farewelling R&R once more. Come back soon, friends.



I am so blessed with the broader family of Derek's and our new family unit that we are making together as husband and wife, but, I do miss the crazy clan that I came from in New Zealand. It is these holiday seasons that leave a sharp pang in my heart as I realise I can't jump in the car and drive a few hours to see them. It is with much joy that yesterday, my dear husband booked return flights for me to head "home" to see my kiwi family over the Queens Birthday long weekend in June. You know what? I really cannot wait.

Hoping you all had a lovely Easter holiday last weekend.

7 comments:

  1. A beautiful post...reminds me of the joy of family and how truly special it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad he booked you return flights! He obviously wants you back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, yes! That is indeed somewhat reassuring ;)

      Delete
  3. oh sounds amazing :) and the photos are wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi lovely, you may want to take a peek at my latest post........the giveaway winner has been announced. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. He's a keeper!! I've been feeling really homesick lately too, even though I was only in New Zealand in February! Queens Birthday will come by before you know it. Family truly us the best xx

    ReplyDelete

ahoy there. I love to hear from you, thanks for taking the time to leave a comment xo